BMW S85 Engine
Large Network Of Engine Suppliers
BMW S85 Engine For Sale
The BMW S85 is a naturally aspirated V10 petrol engine which replaced the BMW S62 V8 engine in the M5 model and was produced from 2005–2009. It was both BMW’s first and only production V10 engine, and the first petrol V10 engine to be available in a production sedan (saloon).
Introduced in the E60 M5, the S85 was inspired by BMW’s previous Formula One involvement. Unlike most other BMW M engines, the S85 is not related to a regular production BMW engine.
The BMW S65 V8 engine (used in the E92 M3) is based on the S85.
Watch this before buying a Used Engine!
If you’re considering buying a used engine, it’s important to know what to look for to avoid any potential problems. A thorough inspection can help you identify any issues before you make your purchase. This video provides valuable tips on what to look for when buying a used engine to ensure it’s in good condition.
BMW S85 Engine: An In-Depth Look at the Ultimate Driving MachineIf you're a BMW enthusiast, then you've probably heard of the S85 engine. It's one of the most powerful and high-performance engines ever built by BMW, and it's used in some of the brand's most iconic cars. In this article, we'll take a closer look at the S85 engine, its history, specifications, and performance.
1. IntroductionThe BMW S85 engine is a high-performance V10 engine that was first introduced in 2005. It was designed for use in BMW's M5 and M6 models, and it quickly gained a reputation as one of the best engines ever produced by BMW. The S85 engine is powerful and efficient, combining advanced technology with raw power to deliver an unforgettable driving experience.
2. The History of the S85 EngineThe S85 engine was developed by BMW's Motorsport division, which is responsible for building high-performance engines and race cars. The development of the S85 engine took several years and involved extensive research and testing. The goal was to create an engine that would deliver the power and performance that BMW fans expect while meeting strict emissions regulations.
3. Specifications and Performance
Power and TorqueThe S85 engine is a 5.0-liter V10 engine that produces 500 horsepower and 384 lb-ft of torque. It has a redline of 8,250 RPM, which is incredibly high for a production engine. The S85 engine also features individual throttle bodies for each cylinder, which allows for precise control of the air/fuel mixture and improved throttle response.
Acceleration and Top SpeedThe S85 engine is capable of propelling the BMW M5 from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.5 seconds, and it has a top speed of 200 mph. These impressive performance figures make the BMW M5 one of the fastest and most exhilarating cars on the road.
Fuel EfficiencyDespite its high-performance capabilities, the S85 engine is also surprisingly fuel-efficient. It has an EPA fuel economy rating of 11 mpg city and 17 mpg highway, which is impressive for a car with this level of performance.
4. Technology and Innovations
Valvetronic SystemOne of the key innovations in the S85 engine is the Valvetronic system, which is an advanced variable valve lift system. This system allows for precise control of the engine's valves, which improves fuel efficiency and reduces emissions. The Valvetronic system also improves throttle response and overall engine performance.
Double-VANOS SystemThe S85 engine also features BMW's Double-VANOS system, which is an advanced variable valve timing system. This system allows for precise control of the engine's valves, which improves power delivery and overall performance.
Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP)To reduce weight and improve performance, BMW used Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) in the construction of the S85 engine's intake manifold. This lightweight material reduces the engine's weight and improves its overall performance.
5. Cars That Use the S85 EngineThe S85 engine was used in two of BMW's most iconic cars, the M5 and the M6. These cars were produced between 2005 and 2010 and are highly sought after by BMW enthusiasts. The S85 engine is often cited as one of the reasons why these cars are so special, as it delivers exceptional power and performance.
6. Maintenance and RepairsWhile the S85 engine is a marvel of engineering, it does require proper maintenance to ensure its longevity and performance. Routine maintenance such as oil changes and spark plug replacements are crucial to keep the engine running smoothly. Additionally, some owners have reported issues with the engine's rod bearings, which can lead to catastrophic engine failure if not addressed promptly. It's important to work with a qualified mechanic who is familiar with the S85 engine to ensure that any issues are identified and repaired quickly.
7. ConclusionThe BMW S85 engine is a testament to the brand's commitment to delivering the ultimate driving machine. With its advanced technology, raw power, and impressive performance, it's no wonder that the S85 engine is so highly regarded by BMW enthusiasts. Whether you're behind the wheel of an M5 or an M6, the S85 engine delivers an unforgettable driving experience that is second to none.
- What is the redline of the BMW S85 engine?
- The S85 engine has a redline of 8,250 RPM.
- What cars use the S85 engine?
- The S85 engine was used in the BMW M5 and M6 models produced between 2005 and 2010.
- Is the S85 engine fuel-efficient?
- Despite its high-performance capabilities, the S85 engine is surprisingly fuel-efficient, with an EPA fuel economy rating of 11 mpg city and 17 mpg highway.
- What is the Valvetronic system in the S85 engine?
- The Valvetronic system is an advanced variable valve lift system that allows for precise control of the engine's valves, improving fuel efficiency and reducing emissions.
- What is the Double-VANOS system in the S85 engine?
- The Double-VANOS system is an advanced variable valve timing system that allows for precise control of the engine's valves, improving power delivery and overall performance.